Thursday, February 11, 2016

Where are the safest drivers in America?

On my way to the Land Line office the other day, I passed two vehicle crashes in the middle of Interstate 70. My Waze app is always notifying me of crashes up ahead with the dreaded red line indicating delayed traffic. I’m a chill guy (seriously, I’m the quiet person at work), but my road rage is cranked to 11 on a daily basis as result of awful drivers. People in Kansas City do not know how to drive.

I could not be more wrong, according to Allstate’s America’s Best Drivers Report.

The same day I passed those two crashes within a few miles of each other, I noticed a Facebook post from a local friend applauding Allstate’s report that was released last September. Kansas City, Kan., was ranked the safest driving city in the U.S. with Kansas City, Mo., ranked No. 17.

Seriously?

I began to wonder what on Earth is going on in the rest of country that makes Kansas City drivers among the safest. Perhaps I’m in a delusional bubble of perceived danger as someone who has lived in Kansas City his entire life and has experienced limited road travel. Perhaps someone from Boston, ranked dead last, would drive along that same stretch of I-70 and marvel at the fact that only two crashes occurred.

Here are the top 10 safest driving cities, out of the 200 largest cities, according to Allstate:
  1. Kansas City, Kan.
  2. Brownsville, Texas
  3. Boise, Idaho
  4. Fort Collins, Colo.
  5. Cape Coral, Fla.
  6. Madison, Wis.
  7. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  8. Laredo, Texas
  9. Huntsville, Ala.
  10. Cary, N.C.
And here are the bottom 10 on that list:

     191. Los Angeles, Calif.
     192. Philadelphia, Pa.
     193. San Francisco, Calif.
     194. Glendale, Calif.
     195. Providence, R.I.
     196. Springfield, Mass.
     197. Washington, D.C.
     198. Baltimore, Md.
     199. Worcester, Mass.
     200. Boston, Mass.

According to Allstate, the average driver will experience a collision every 10 years. Meanwhile, many truckers who drive more miles by an order of magnitude will retire accident free. More proof that truckers are the safest drivers on the road.

If anyone has their finger on the pulse of roadway safety across the country, it’s the truck drivers who travel the landscape. With that said, here’s my question to all the truckers out there: What are the safest and least safe cities you have driven through?