Friday, January 8, 2016

Feedback on your 2016 vocabulary makeover

Is anyone quicker with a snappy comeback than a trucker? Earlier this week, our Land Line blog featured a rant from me on the misuse and overuse of some words and phrases. The supportive feedback on my suggestion to do a little vocab rehab in 2016 has been fun. I have to share this witty letter from OOIDA Senior Member Danny Schnautz of Pasadena, Texas, in which he manages to use every annoying cliché my blog targeted. Nice, Danny. Nice.

Sandi,
So your editorial about “vocabulary … makeover” was one of the best things that I’ve read in a while.

Your “circle back” is so true – reminds me of the sales tactic to send an email with a subject line starting with RE as if we’ve corresponded before – “see below.” Of course, I never heard back from this hack. It is cray-cray for them to think that I will fall for this. Normally, I could care less. Let them find their own way to be on fleek, without my input.

I guess when someone is deep in the weeds, they try anything. Starting with a broad list, they drill down until they have an aha moment, and they can get some sales to get the house in the burbs and the whole nine yards. I think they think that such email ploys are a hack to get to success – filthy. 

So all for now.  I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus. Maybe I would have on hump day, but that day is past. I think my way is best, but only time will tell. 

The takeaway from this is that we all read what you write, because we value your skill set.  We don’t skim it, no – it’s the whole enchilada. If you think I’m over the top here – well – my bad. Maybe it’s time to park the bus.

These all get used a lot – and frankly, I’ve found the initial “so” the most so in my business circles (Fortune 100s) – and, sadly, it can be contagious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.