Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Perish the thought! Drivers want to actually make money?

Image courtesy of cooldesign
Today’s trucking environment is riddled with the blame game. Fingers are pointing and fur is flying over who is responsible for the problems in the industry.

Enter Jerry Moyes of Swift who professed in a couple of other industry publications to know exactly what’s wrong with the industry.

Here’s the exact quote:

I’ve been in this business for 45 years and the number one problem has always been drivers. It’s not going to change.”

If that’s the first time you’ve read that, I’ll bet that your blood pressure went through the roof. I know mine did.

Now, to be fair, Moyes went on to offer a solution to this problem. (You’ll love this.)

And, I quote: “For us to solve this, we’ve got to give them a lot more money.”

Makes you want to smack yourself upside the head and wonder why on earth you didn’t think of that, right? No. It doesn’t.

Mr. Moyes has either just punched into the REAL problem of driver treatment and driver pay, or he is just paying lip service. I lean toward the latter option because of the how he suggests driver pay should be increased.

The way he uses the word “we” in the “we’ve got to give them a lot more money,” is kinda like the way my kids use the word “we” when it’s time to clean a litter box, take out the trash, or mow the yard. We really means anyone but me.

Driver pay does need to go up. It really is that simple.

I just won’t be holding my breath waiting for the royal “we” to put their money where their mouth is.