Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It’s a good thing they can’t talk

Anybody with kids knows the panic of your child ratting you out at the worst possible moment.

I learned this lesson years ago when I took my niece, Meg, with me to pick up fair results at the county fairground. She was 3 years old at the time and quite the talker.

I was driving around the access road – which was restricted to press and fair workers – and some toothless carnie started yelling at me to get off the road. I muttered under my breath, “Hide and watch, b$@#%,” and kept driving.

The carnie saw me muttering and started tapping on my window demanding to know what I said.

Meg reached over, rolled down her window and proceeded to proclaim: “She said, ‘hide and watch, b$@#%.’ ”

Mortified, I rolled up the window and crept off to the fairgrounds office to pick up the results and get the heck out of Dodge.

Now researchers are saying my dog might be able to read my mind. I am so screwed. Check out the story.

Even though my chocolate lab “Mocha” and I have a lot of deep conversations, there’re still things I really don’t want even her to know.

I would guess a lot of you with dogs in the truck have some of those deep and meaningful conversations with your dogs. And, I'd bet you know what I mean that there's even some things you're not going to tell your dog. Now researchers are saying our dog's are just going to know what we're thinking.

I guess it’s a darn good thing they can’t talk. Otherwise, you know about the time Barney Fife asks you if you know why he pulled you over – well, Fido just might spill the beans.