Friday, September 7, 2007

Mexican trucks my foot

There are a lot of videos posted to YouTube right now about Mexican trucks and the cross-border program.

The lion’s share is obviously outlining the problems with the program. But someone, purporting to be from Mexico, has begun posting videos of trucking in Mexico – obviously in an attempt to give us the “real scoop” on what it’s like down there.

These videos are the biggest crock I have ever seen. Click here to see what I mean.

Not only is it just a truck scooting around on a lot, not out on the open road, but it’s brand freakin’ new. There is not a hint of fifth-wheel grease. That thing is spit-shined like a show truck.

I have personally visited Mexico and – I still shudder at the thought of it – actually drove around in the country. I cruised the west coast line from Tijuana down to Ensenada. It was a good three- or four-hour round-trip I spent on the hideous Mexican toll road praying for my life every inch of the way.

I cringed every time a truck rolled by blowing black smoke everywhere with warped wheels shaking their way down the road. And, gator tails were more common than smooth patches of road. I dodged 1970s Chevy Luv trucks, loaded to the gills with people, careening on and off the toll road to avoid the tollbooths.

I really felt like I was taking my life into my hands.

The rhetoric will certainly continue on how safe these trucks are from Mexico. But, after having been there, done that and wearing the T-shirt, I feel quite safe in calling BS on this sort of portrayal on the Mexican trucking industry.