Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Produce and poetry – what a combination

What do produce and poetry have in common? Me. I am kind of the “whatever” gal at Land Line

– besides covering the produce industry and the complicated issues affecting the truck drivers who haul it, I also am the point-person for this year’s poetry contest, which, to say the least, has been quite entertaining.

Oh, what you must see while out on the road. For those of you who have already submitted poems – thanks. Your words have given me insight into what you must face and the sacrifices you make on a daily basis.

For those of you who haven’t submitted poems, there’s still time. So hurry up and get your “rhyme” on and send us your poems. The deadline is Aug. 1 and I truly believe there is a poet in all of us.

I also spend a lot of my time on the phone talking to OOIDA members who have news tips or story ideas for Land Line to follow up on. Your news tips have led to some interesting stories for the magazine.

For example, a call I took from a produce hauler back in Sept. 2006 when E. coli was traced back to bagged spinach, has led the magazine and the Association on an almost year-long quest to get some “best practices” changed in the industry after produce haulers got stuck with potentially contaminated product on their trailers and nowhere to take it. That one may take some time.

Because of my leafy green beat, my coworkers now call me “the leafy green queen” or the “rotten vegetable lady.” I think I prefer the first nickname – what about you?

Until next time, be safe out there.