Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Making common sense, well, more common

I am constantly amazed by the seeming lack of common sense I run into every day. Ignorance seems to run amuck everywhere from grocery store lines, to the interstates, to – unfortunately – even our government.

I have pondered why this is openly in many conversations. Generally, I throw my hands up in the air in disgust because there doesn’t seem to be an easy answer. That was, until the other night.

Sitting at dinner, pushing ice around in my glass, I openly posed my question to those I was eating with – why is it so hard to use common sense?

The waiter who apparently had been tuned into my rant politely leaned over and said:

“Common sense isn’t so common, is it?”

Boy, did that make me think.

Every day here at the Association it seems like we turn up yet another bonehead city ordinance, an insane statewide proposal or ridiculous regulation being kicked around on the federal level. There just doesn’t seem to be a shortage of them.

So, if common sense isn’t common, what do we do?

We educate. It’s that simple.

One of the easiest ways to stay on top of big issues affecting your life and your business is through the OOIDA Call to Action team. You’ll receive updates on both the national level and on issues in the state you live in.

Your calls to lawmakers make a big difference. Just look at the headway we’ve made in the U.S. House of Representatives in reining in the cross-border program in Mexico. It’s members like you who are responsible for educating lawmakers and getting their support in opposing this program.

Signing up to receive the calls to action is quick and easy. Just click here and sign up.